Managers everywhere want to know: How can I get my employees to give their best when study after study warns that workers are more disengaged than ever?
According to a study by the employee engagement firm TINYpulse, encouraging employee motivation and engagement requires managers to focus on a mix of factors. When asked “What motivates you to excel and go the extra mile at your organization?” several hundred employees gave the following answers:
- Camaraderie and peer motivation (20 percent)
- An intrinsic desire to do a good job (17 percent)
- Feeling that the company encourages and recognizes their good work (13 percent)
- Making a real impact (10 percent)
- Growing professionally as a result of working harder (8 percent)
- Meeting the needs of clients and customers (8 percent)
Although “money and benefits” were also on the list of options, they landed third from the bottom in the mix of motivating factors – only seven percent of respondents chose them as a reason to go the extra mile.
These “top six” motivators all have one feature in common: They result from the strength of the company’s internal culture.
All companies have a culture, but those that rise to the top of their industries are those that take active steps to establish, share, and develop that culture among employees. A company culture that encourages employees to work together, expects high internal motivation while rewarding the results of that work, and allows employees to make a real difference while growing their own careers is one in which employees are more likely to push for better results more often.
Choosing candidates that fit with your company’s culture is important. So is choosing candidates who will make positive contributions to that culture. When interviewing, include behavioral interview questions that probe a candidate’s ability to:
- Communicate openly with subordinates, peers, and supervisors,
- Thrive in a collaborative environment where workloads are shared and peer support is a must,
- Handle conflict and pressure gracefully, in ways that reduce strife and improve information-sharing, and
- Share praise and accept accountability.
At Marquee Staffing, our recruiters match our clients with great talent in SoCal – and we also help you leverage your company’s cultural strengths to keep those employees motivated and engaged. Contact us today to learn more.