6 Reasons to Accept a Temporary Job in Southern California
When SoCal job seekers hit the job market, they’re not always thinking about accepting temporary work. But when you’re open to contract work, you’re open to a number of opportunities that other job seekers will miss.
Here are the top six reasons to consider temp work in Southern California:
- Get paid during your job search. Temporary work doesn’t have to impede your search for a long-term position – but it does offer you the opportunity to get paid while you’re on the job hunt. Make sure the bills are covered while you keep seeking that long-term employer you want.
- Build your skills (and your resume). Every job seeker knows they’ll be called upon to explain any “gaps” in their work history. One easy way to tackle this challenge is to take a temporary job. You’ll demonstrate you’re still working in your industry and you’re passionate enough about your work to keep building your skills between long-term positions.
- Learn something new. Many temporary jobs are project-oriented, which means you can focus on honing your skills and deepening your knowledge in one particular area. Project-based work is a great way to build your resume, especially if you take the kind of projects you want to be doing long term.
- Expand your professional network. Everyone you meet at a temporary job assignment is a potential contact in your professional network – someone who can keep you alerted about job openings or recommend your expertise to managers or other professionals. Keep cultivating your network simply by going to work!
- Test-drive an employer. Many employers in SoCal hire both temporary and long-term employees. Taking a temporary gig with an employer is a great way to see if their teams, work processes and goals offer the right fit for your personality and career. If the fit is right, start watching them for long-term opportunities; if not, simply move on to the next opportunity.
- Go temp-to-perm. Many “temporary” job postings are actually “temp-to-perm” opportunities, in which the employer is seeking to hire someone long term once they’re confident the person is comfortable working with their team. Use temporary job opportunities to find the permanent position you want.
At Marquee Staffing, our experienced recruiters can help you find the temporary, temp-to-perm or direct hire position you’re looking for in the SoCal area. Contact us today to learn more about our top job opportunities in Southern California.